Items Accepted At SCARCE
Dedicated to keeping "stuff" out of the landfill
SCARCE accepts a variety of items for reuse and recycling as part of our effort to help people and our planet prosper. New and gently used books and supplies can be donated by local community members, schools, and organizations looking to reduce waste and give back to students everywhere.
How to Donate
Update 06/18/20 – We are back to accepting our full list of accepted items.
- Items must be packed in boxes – no bags.
- Donations of 5 or more boxes are by appointment only. Call 630-545-9710 to schedule.
- Donation hours are Tuesday-Friday 9am-2pm.
- Drop-offs are taken on the back side of the building under the overhang. Ring the doorbell when you arrive.
What We Accept:
- Books - any & all
- LP Records
- School supplies: new/like-new
- Office supplies: new/like-new
- Paper: unused, all kinds
- Binders - unused only, no branding or writing
- Writing Utensils: pens, pencils, markers etc
- Art Supplies: unused/like-new only
- Poster board : unused/like-new
- Like-new games, puzzles, flash cards
- White boards, cork boards
- Keys (household, luggage, car)
- Musical Instruments
- Holiday Lights
- Cell phones
- Cords & wires (phone, computer, etc)
- 35mm Film Canisters
- Eyeglasses & Sunglasses (no cases)
- Canon and HP Inkjet cartridges (No toners)
- Hearing Aids
- Plastic Bread Tags
- X-ray, MRI, and Lithographic Film
- Box Tops for Education
- Bikes, Bike parts & accessories
- National Geographic magazines (no older than 5 years)
We reserve the right to decline a donation based on condition, item and our current inventory levels. Dumpsters are not available on-site. This information is subject to change.
SCARCE participates in unique recycling programs through Terracycle. We are in the Arm & Hammer/Oxiclean pouches, Brita, NOW Foods, and Burt’s Bees brigades. Click each image below for details on what is accepted.
- No batteries, household chemicals, bulbs, cooking oil, electronics, or smoke detectors. We are happy to direct you to where those items can be taken.
- No magazines (except for National Geographic)
- No laptop bags or used backpacks
- No handmade teaching tools (cutouts, flashcards, posters, games, etc)
- No copies/xeroxed papers or worksheets
- No hanging file folders
- No base 10 blocks
- No adding machines
- No furniture, clothing, stuffed animals
- No housewares
Keeping Resources Out of the Landfill
We accept absolutely any book in any condition. As an environmental organization, our mission is to prevent a single book from going to the landfill. We’ve diverted millions of books and supplies from the landfill since opening our doors.
What happens to the books and supplies?
- Usable textbooks, reading books, and supplies go to our Reuse Center for teachers and non-profits
- Books that are not appropriate for preK-12 classrooms are set aside for resale
- Out-of-date or damaged books are recycled through a specialty recycler
All proceeds from book sales support our projects and help to keep our doors open!