Items Accepted At SCARCE
Dedicated to keeping resources out of the landfill
SCARCE accepts a variety of items for reuse and recycling as part of our effort to help people and our planet prosper. New and gently used books and supplies can be donated by local community members, schools, and organizations looking to reduce waste and give back to students everywhere.
How to Donate
- Items must be packed in cardboard boxes – no bags or plastic bins.
- Donations of 5 or more boxes are by appointment only. Call 630-545-9710 to schedule.
- Donation hours are Tuesday-Friday 9am-2pm.
- Drop-offs are taken on the back side of the building under the overhang. Ring the doorbell when you arrive.
- Donors must unload themselves.
- Boxes should weigh no more than 30lbs.
What We Accept:
- Books - any & all
- LP Records
- Holiday Lights
- Music CDs with cases (commercially-made only)
- DVD movies with cases (commercially-made only, no home recordings)
- Keys (household, luggage, car)
- Inkjet cartridges (No toners)
- Cords & wires (phone, computer, etc)
- Bikes, Bike parts & accessories
- X-ray, MRI, and Lithographic Film
- Eyeglasses & Sunglasses (no cases)
- Hearing Aids
- Plastic Bread Tags
- School supplies: new/like-new
- Office supplies: new/like-new
- Paper: unused, all kinds
- Writing Utensils: pens, pencils, markers etc
- Art Supplies: unused/like-new only
- Poster board : unused/like-new
- Like-new games, puzzles, flash cards
- White boards, cork boards
- Musical Instruments
- 35mm Film Canisters
- Box Tops for Education
- Metal Jewelry - like-new, used or broken
We reserve the right to decline a donation based on condition, item and our current inventory levels. Dumpsters are not available on-site. This information is subject to change.
Terracycle Collections – now accepting!
SCARCE participates in unique recycling programs through Terracycle. We are in the Arm & Hammer/Oxiclean pouches, Brita, NOW Foods, Garnier Personal Care, Burt’s Bees, BIC stationary and Tom’s of Maine brigades. Click each image below for details on what is accepted.
- No batteries, household chemicals, bulbs, cooking oil, electronics, or smoke detectors. We are happy to direct you to where those items can be taken.
- No magazines
- No laptop bags or used backpacks
- No handmade teaching tools (cutouts, flashcards, posters, games, etc)
- No copies/xeroxed papers or worksheets
- No binders
- No hanging file folders
- No base 10 blocks
- No adding machines
- No furniture, clothing, stuffed animals
- No housewares
- No home-recorded CDs, DVDs or VHS tapes
- No VHS or cassette tapes
- No plastic bins or milk crates
Keeping Resources Out of the Landfill
We accept absolutely any book in any condition. As an environmental organization, our mission is to prevent a single book from going to the landfill. We’ve diverted millions of books and supplies from the landfill since opening our doors.
What happens to the books and supplies?
- Usable textbooks, reading books, and supplies go to our Reuse Center for teachers and non-profits
- Books that are not appropriate for preK-12 classrooms are set aside for resale
- Out-of-date or damaged books are recycled through a specialty recycler
All proceeds from book sales support our projects and help to keep our doors open!