Items Accepted At SCARCE
Dedicated to keeping "stuff" out of the landfill
SCARCE accepts a variety of items for reuse and recycling as part of our effort to help people and our planet prosper. New and gently used books and supplies can be donated by local community members, schools, and organizations looking to reduce waste and give back to students everywhere.
Beginning Dec 15th we will accept limited items from our list (updated below).
How to Donate
- Items must be packed in cardboard boxes – no bags or plastic bins.
- Donations of 5 or more boxes are by appointment only. Call 630-545-9710 to schedule.
- Donation hours are Tuesday-Friday 9am-2pm.
- Drop-offs are taken on the back side of the building under the overhang. Ring the doorbell when you arrive.
What We Accept:
Currently donations are limited to the items shown below without the strikethrough.
- Books - any & all
- LP Records
- Holiday Lights
- Music CDs with cases (commercially-made only)
- DVD & VHS movies with cases (commercially-made only, no home movies)
- Keys (household, luggage, car)
- Canon and HP Inkjet cartridges (No toners)
- Cords & wires (phone, computer, etc)
- Bikes, Bike parts & accessories
- X-ray, MRI, and Lithographic Film
- Plastic Bread Tags
School supplies: new/like-newOn hold Office supplies: new/like-newOn hold Paper: unused, all kindsOn hold Binders - new only, no branding or writingOn hold Writing Utensils: pens, pencils, markers etcOn hold Art Supplies: unused/like-new onlyOn hold CrayonsOn hold Poster board : unused/like-newOn hold Like-new games, puzzles, flash cardsOn hold White boards, cork boardsOn hold Musical InstrumentsOn hold 35mm Film CanistersOn hold Hearing AidsOn hold Eyeglasses & Sunglasses (no cases)On hold Box Tops for EducationOn hold
We reserve the right to decline a donation based on condition, item and our current inventory levels. Dumpsters are not available on-site. This information is subject to change.
Terracycle Collections – now accepting!
SCARCE participates in unique recycling programs through Terracycle. We are in the Arm & Hammer/Oxiclean pouches, Brita, NOW Foods, Garnier Personal Care, Burt’s Bees, BIC stationary and Tom’s of Maine brigades. Click each image below for details on what is accepted.
- No batteries, household chemicals, bulbs, cooking oil, electronics, or smoke detectors. We are happy to direct you to where those items can be taken.
- No magazines
- No laptop bags or used backpacks
- No handmade teaching tools (cutouts, flashcards, posters, games, etc)
- No copies/xeroxed papers or worksheets
- No hanging file folders
- No base 10 blocks
- No adding machines
- No furniture, clothing, stuffed animals
- No housewares
- No home-recorded CDs, DVDs or VHS tapes
- No cassette tapes
- No plastic bins or milk crates
Keeping Resources Out of the Landfill
We accept absolutely any book in any condition. As an environmental organization, our mission is to prevent a single book from going to the landfill. We’ve diverted millions of books and supplies from the landfill since opening our doors.
What happens to the books and supplies?
- Usable textbooks, reading books, and supplies go to our Reuse Center for teachers and non-profits
- Books that are not appropriate for preK-12 classrooms are set aside for resale
- Out-of-date or damaged books are recycled through a specialty recycler
All proceeds from book sales support our projects and help to keep our doors open!