Why Rescue Crayons?
The Super Crayon project diverts broken, unusable crayons from going to the landfill. SCARCE recycles crayon pieces into “Super Crayons.” Volunteers help peel, sort, and melt the broken crayons. The liquid crayon mixture is poured into molds to form large Super Crayons in a variety of shapes which can be used by children with special needs.
Thank you to all who bring us crayons and to those volunteers who spend time on this project.
- We can reuse the oil from the crayons
- We can help kids with special needs
- Prevents crayons from entering our landfills
- It's creative & fun!
Donate Your Crayons
We’ll take the old crayons your kids don’t want or use anymore! Drop them off during our normal business hours.
Whole, usable crayons are sorted into sets for underprivileged school children. The broken, unusable pieces will be melted into “Super Crayons”.
Help Us Make Super Crayons
No experience necessary! Have a group that would like to volunteer to make Super Crayons? Contact us at 630-545-9710 or email@example.com to schedule. Volunteers must be at least 14 years old. Be sure to wear old clothes and closed-toe shoes.
Groups (of up to 15) are charged a $50.00 reservation fee. The fee supports the Super Crayon Project and helps us provide a positive experience for your group.
Volunteers sort, peel, and melt crayons to make Super Crayons. If you are interested in helping, here are some guidelines:
- Collecting and sorting crayons is a great project for volunteers of any age. Crayons can be collected and sorted at home by younger children or scout troops. At SCARCE, only volunteers high school and older are allowed.
- Due to the heat needed to melt the crayons, those making Super Crayons need to be high school age or older.
- Once the Super Crayons are made, smoothing them requires time, patience, and carving skills.
Want to sort & peel crayons at home? Please review the directions for sorting and peeling crayons