Storm Drain Medallions: A Simple Environmental Service Project with Lasting Impact
Jun 29 2018
Are you looking to make a difference for the environment and your community? Protect local waterways and educate your fellow community members with the Storm Drain Medallion Project from SCARCE. We provide the tools and guidance to help you make a difference.
What is the storm drain medallion project?
SCARCE is looking for DuPage County citizens to lead small-scale storm drain medallion projects in their community. Storm drain medallions are markers that are adhered to the curb of a storm drain. They educate readers not to dump waste of any kind down storm drains as they connect directly to our rivers, streams, and lakes.* Many people are unaware that water from storm drains does not get filtered or treated before being released into local waterways. By installing storm drain medallions, you can help prevent the pollution of our water and educate your fellow community members.
Only rainwater should go down storm drains – dumping of any other waste is illegal by the Federal Clean Water Act and should be reported to your local municipality. Hazardous or potentially life-threatening spills should be reported by calling 911.
*Notably, the city of Chicago, and other old, large cities across the U.S., are an exception with their combined sewer systems. Learn the difference between combined and separated sewer systems in this great video from the Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinatti.
Review the project steps and FAQ below. All in all, the Storm Drain Medallion Project is a great activity that is simple to do and has a lasting impact. Apply today!
Frequently Asked QuestionsWho can apply to run a storm drain medallion project?
Basic Project Procedure
- Review the FAQ above and fill out the online application.
- Call SCARCE to schedule a time to finalize your project and pick up the supplies.
- Supply Pick Up & Training: Bring a $25.000 cash deposit, fill out the project agreement, sign a waiver, have a quick training, and get your supplies.
- Install Medallions. While running your project, make sure to take photos and record the installation location of each medallion.
- Fill out the final project summary.
- Return your tools to SCARCE (best to call ahead). Fill out the return receipt and, assuming tools are returned functional, get your $25.00 deposit.
Check out the video below to see how easy it is to install storm drain medallions (spoiler alert: this is your training video). Get more details on how to properly install medallions here.
Thank you to the DuPage Foundation for supporting this project.