- This event has passed.
World Wetlands Day
February 2, 2017
Happy World Wetlands Day!
Wetlands help clean our water, reduce flooding, are home to tons of species and so much more! In Illinois, we’ve lost more than 90% of our wetlands that existed 200 years ago. Take this day to learn a bit more about how valuable wetlands are to us and the environment and how you can help protect them. DuPage County has information on wetlands and one-page guide on wetlands and streams for residents. You can find out more about why wetlands are important from the US EPA.
- US EPA Wetlands Education Resources
- National Wetlands Inventory of US Fish and Wildlife Service
- Science Trek: Wetlands – from Idaho Public Television, is a compilation of resources from all over that includes a 28 min “Dialogue for Kids” show, facts, game ideas, a glossary and more
- Download Guides, Posters, and more from the World Wetlands Day website
- WatchKnowLearn has a collection of wetland videos
- SCARCE’s Enviroscape watershed model program has won awards from the Illinois Association for Floodplain and Stormwater Management for Public Education and Outreach. DuPage County teachers can attend free workshops to get certified to utilize and borrow models from us to use in their classrooms. SCARCE also offers the watershed model as a classroom program.
- Water Rocks has lots of youtube videos on water and wetlands, many that have won awards