- This event has passed.
National Pollinator Week
June 18, 2018 - June 24, 2018
National Pollinator Week is a time to celebrate pollinators and spread the word about what you can do to protect them. Illinois has joined other states nationwide proclaiming June 18-24 as Pollinator Week. One out of every 3 bites of food you eat depends on pollinators to grow.
Pollinators positively affect all our lives, supporting wildlife, a healthy watershed and more – let’s SAVE and CELEBRATE them! Check out the ways that you can make a difference and support the birds, bees, and butterflies we depend on:
- Plant for pollinators! Your beautiful garden can be a haven for pollinators.
- Find an intro to pollinator gardening here.
- Get ideas on what to plant from Grow Native! and Wild Ones.
- Find a full list of pollinator plants for the Midwest at the Xerces Society.
- Buy plants from growers such as Natural Communities, Native Plants or a local native plant sale (often held in the spring)
- Reduce or Eliminate Pesticides – the dandelions and clover in your yard may seem like an eyesore but they are great sources for pollinators! Learn more on the impact and alternatives to pesticides from the Midwest Pesticide Action Center. There are also tons of books on organic gardening with tips on natural pest and weed control.