- This event has passed.
National Pollution Prevention Week
September 18, 2017 - September 24, 2017
Take Action to Stop Pollution Before it Starts
During Pollution Prevention Week we urge you to continue to spread the word: think of ways to prevent pollution in your world, innovate, and do it the green way from the beginning! That’s the key to saving our planet’s resources and moving toward sustainability. Please join in, renew your efforts and pat yourself on the back for progress you’ve made. Congratulations on every step!
5 Simple Actions You Can Take to Prevent Pollution:
- Switch from CFL to LED lightbulbs – LEDs are the most efficient bulb, reducing pollution from energy production. Be sure to properly recycle your old CFL bulbs to prevent mercury pollution.
- Check your hand soap, face/body wash and toothpaste for plastic microbeads. Microbeads contaminate our water and are too small to be removed during sewage treatment. Stop use and toss out products containing microbeads.
- Properly dispose of unused or expired medicines at a local drop-off. Don’t rush to flush! It pollutes our water.
- Don’t clog with F.O.G.! Cooking oil clogs pipes and contaminates our water, even if it’s liquid when it goes down the drain. Collect your used/expired cooking oil and bring it to a local drop off to be recycled into biofuel!
- Pledge to #PickUp5 each time you go on a walk this week. Stop pollution in it’s tracks by picking up just 5 pieces of litter in your community. Share on social media and tag is with #PickUp5 and #P2week