- This event has passed.
March 25, 2017 @ 8:30 pm - 9:30 pm CDT
Shine a Light on Climate Action
Every year, hundreds of millions of people around the world switch off their lights for one designated hour to demonstrate a commitment to fighting climate change.
Earth Hour is a global environmental movement by the World Wildlife Foundation.
Join in and use your power to change climate change by turning off your lights on Saturday, March 25th from 8:30-9:30pm.
Create or join an Earth Hour event near you to help spread awareness and inspire action on climate change. Visit the Earth Hour 2017 Facebook event and share.
You can also take actions on your own at home.
Ideas for Home
- Check out a kill-a-watt meter from your local library to learn how much energy your devices use.
- Compare your electric bills from March 2017 and March 2016
- Play a game by flashlight or candlelight
- Find 3 things you can unplug that you don’t use (digital alarm in the guest room, spare radio in the garage etc)
Ideas for Classroom
- If you’re in a DuPage County school and are going to be on spring break do your part to change climate change before you leave school for vacation. Go around your classroom and unplug all your electronics including pencil sharpeners, CD player/radio, speakers, spare cell phone charger, computer.
- Close your blinds to reduce heat loss – the less you have to heat an empty classroom, the better!